Rundle Street is a street in the east end
Rundle Street is a street in the East End of the city centre of Adelaide, the capital of South Australia. It runs from Pulteney Street in the west to East Terrace, where it becomes Rundle Road. (A separate Rundle Street continues from Rundle Road through Kent Town). Its former western extent, which ran to King William Street, was closed in 1972 to form the pedestrian street of Rundle Mall. The street is in close proximity to the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, Rymill Park, Hindmarsh Square and North Terrace.
The street was named after John Rundle, a director of the South Australia Company and member of the British House of Commons, by the Street Naming Committee on 23 May 1837. It was installed with the first electric street lighting in South Australia in 1895 at the former intersection of Rundle, King William and Hindley streets.
The street contains many cafés, restaurants, shops, cinemas, clubs and hotels. It is one of Adelaide’s most popular streets for cafés and fashion. Most of the street has a heritage façade, but has been redeveloped for modern use, with some buildings converted to residences, such as the East End Markets.