Rundle Mall

Rundle Mall in the Adelaide city centre is the premier retail area of South Australia. It was opened as Australia’s first pedestrian street mall in September 1976 by closing the section of Rundle Street between King William Street and Pulteney Street, to vehicular traffic. The street continues as Rundle Street (as before) to the east and Hindley Street to the west.

The pedestrian mall has become the centerpiece of Adelaide’s city centre.

The mall is home to the South Australian flagship stores of many large Australian retailers and a large number of smaller independent and chain stores. The mall also features a number of arcades and plazas containing smaller boutiques and eateries. These include the Italianate styled Adelaide Arcade (also being the first retail establishment in Australia with electric lighting, Regent Arcade, Gays Arcade, City Cross, Southern Cross, Adelaide Central Plaza, Myer Centre, Renaissance Arcade, and Rundle Place.

Rundle Mall History

Rundle Street, from which the mall takes its name, is named after John Rundle, a member of the British House of Commons and an original director of the South Australia Company. The street was named on 23 May 1837 by the Street Naming Committee. In 1895, the first electric street lighting was installed at the intersection of Rundle Street (as it was then), King William Street and Hindley Street. It also had a tramline run through it when it was still part of Rundle Street.

Rundle Street Beehive Corner 1882
Rundle Street Beehive Corner approx 1882

Rundle Mall

The Beginning

In November 1972, the then South Australian Premier, Don Dunstan, issued the closure of the western part of Rundle Street to create Rundle Mall, due to extreme congestion caused by traffic and the increasing number of pedestrians. Other than Police and other government vehicles, drivers need permission to drive on the pedestrian strip. The mall is a dry zone as well as a smoke-free zone.

Adelaide Rundle Mall Shopping
Adelaide Rundle Mall Shopping

Rundle Mall Attractions

There are several items of modern sculpture in the mall. The best-known is the 4 metre tall The Spheres by Bert Flugelman; two large stainless steel spheres with a diameter of 2.15 metres balanced one on top of the other. They are most commonly referred to as the Mall’s Balls or Rundle Mall balls. “The Mall’s Balls” are a common meeting place for visitors. Erected in 1977, they were commissioned by the then Hindmarsh Building Society (subsequently absorbed into the Adelaide Bank) and donated to the City of Adelaide to mark the building society’s 1977 centenary.

Other sculpture includes a group of life-size bronze pigs − Horatio, Truffles, Augusta and Oliver rooting around a rubbish bin.

Adelaide Rundle Mall - Horatio Pig Sculpture
Adelaide Rundle Mall - Horatio Pig Sculpture

Rundle Mall Shopping

The majority of buildings on Rundle Mall contain a small number of retail tenancies. There are also many larger arcades and shopping centres that lead off Rundle Mall or blocks around it. No single company or organisation owns a significant proportion of the Mall’s real estate.

With direct mall access:

  • Adelaide Arcade
  • Adelaide Central Plaza
  • Citi Centre Arcade
  • City Cross Arcade
  • The Myer Centre
  • Regent Arcade
  • Renaissance Arcade
  • Rundle Mall Plaza
  • Rundle Place

With access via laneways or other arcades:

  • Charles Street Plaza
  • Da Costa Arcade
  • Gays Arcade
  • Rundle Arcade
  • Southern Cross Arcade
  • Twin Street Arcade

A number of public laneways lead off the mall, such as James Place, Charles Street, Twin Street and Gawler Place. These are home to more retail tenants.

Anchor tenants

Department stores:

  • David Jones
  • Harris Scarfe
  • Myer
  • Target

Other large tenants:

  • Amart All Sports
  • Apple Store
  • Best & Less
  • Coles Supermarkets
  • Dymocks Bookstore
  • Harvey Norman
  • JB Hi-Fi
  • Kmart
  • Lincraft
  • Rebel Sport
  • Spotlight
  • Woolworths Supermarkets
+ History

Rundle Mall History

Rundle Street, from which the mall takes its name, is named after John Rundle, a member of the British House of Commons and an original director of the South Australia Company. The street was named on 23 May 1837 by the Street Naming Committee. In 1895, the first electric street lighting was installed at the intersection of Rundle Street (as it was then), King William Street and Hindley Street. It also had a tramline run through it when it was still part of Rundle Street.

Rundle Street Beehive Corner 1882
Rundle Street Beehive Corner approx 1882
+ Mall

Rundle Mall

The Beginning

In November 1972, the then South Australian Premier, Don Dunstan, issued the closure of the western part of Rundle Street to create Rundle Mall, due to extreme congestion caused by traffic and the increasing number of pedestrians. Other than Police and other government vehicles, drivers need permission to drive on the pedestrian strip. The mall is a dry zone as well as a smoke-free zone.

Adelaide Rundle Mall Shopping
Adelaide Rundle Mall Shopping
+ Attractions

Rundle Mall Attractions

There are several items of modern sculpture in the mall. The best-known is the 4 metre tall The Spheres by Bert Flugelman; two large stainless steel spheres with a diameter of 2.15 metres balanced one on top of the other. They are most commonly referred to as the Mall’s Balls or Rundle Mall balls. “The Mall’s Balls” are a common meeting place for visitors. Erected in 1977, they were commissioned by the then Hindmarsh Building Society (subsequently absorbed into the Adelaide Bank) and donated to the City of Adelaide to mark the building society’s 1977 centenary.

Other sculpture includes a group of life-size bronze pigs − Horatio, Truffles, Augusta and Oliver rooting around a rubbish bin.

Adelaide Rundle Mall - Horatio Pig Sculpture
Adelaide Rundle Mall - Horatio Pig Sculpture
+ Shopping

Rundle Mall Shopping

The majority of buildings on Rundle Mall contain a small number of retail tenancies. There are also many larger arcades and shopping centres that lead off Rundle Mall or blocks around it. No single company or organisation owns a significant proportion of the Mall’s real estate.

With direct mall access:

  • Adelaide Arcade
  • Adelaide Central Plaza
  • Citi Centre Arcade
  • City Cross Arcade
  • The Myer Centre
  • Regent Arcade
  • Renaissance Arcade
  • Rundle Mall Plaza
  • Rundle Place

With access via laneways or other arcades:

  • Charles Street Plaza
  • Da Costa Arcade
  • Gays Arcade
  • Rundle Arcade
  • Southern Cross Arcade
  • Twin Street Arcade

A number of public laneways lead off the mall, such as James Place, Charles Street, Twin Street and Gawler Place. These are home to more retail tenants.

Anchor tenants

Department stores:

  • David Jones
  • Harris Scarfe
  • Myer
  • Target

Other large tenants:

  • Amart All Sports
  • Apple Store
  • Best & Less
  • Coles Supermarkets
  • Dymocks Bookstore
  • Harvey Norman
  • JB Hi-Fi
  • Kmart
  • Lincraft
  • Rebel Sport
  • Spotlight
  • Woolworths Supermarkets