North Terrace Adelaide

North Terrace is one of the four terraces that bound the central business and residential district of Adelaide, the capital city of South Australia. It runs east-west, along the northern edge of “the square mile”. The western end continues on to Port Road, and the eastern end continues across the Adelaide Parklands as Botanic Road.

History

North Terrace Adelaide in 1839 as viewed south-east from the western end of North Terrace, including Holy Trinity Church. (The church tower lost its “peaked cap” in 1844.)

 

Adelaide North Terrace 1839
Adelaide North Terrace 1839

Cultural Boulevard

After Kintore Avenue much of the space between North Terrace and the River Torrens is occupied by cultural institutions and other public buildings. Starting from West Terrace and travelling east, these buildings include:
State Library of South Australia
Institute Building (1859)
Spence Wing
Mortlock Wing (1884)
South Australian Museum
Art Gallery of South Australia
University of Adelaide (original campus)
Mitchell Building
Elder Conservatorium
Bonython Hall
Napier Building
Ligertwood Building
Jubilee 150 Walkway
University of South Australia
Brookman Building
The (old/current) Royal Adelaide Hospital
Adelaide Botanic Gardens

Major Buildings

Starting from West Terrace and traveling east, these buildings include:
The new Royal Adelaide Hospital (still a construction site)
South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI)
Adelaide Medical and Nursing Schools (construction site for the University of Adelaide)

The Morphett Street bridge
East of the bridge are the following major buildings

Adelaide Convention Centre, & Exhibition Halls
Riverside Centre (above the railway station platforms)
Inter Continental Hotel
Adelaide railway station building
Adelaide Casino (inside the historic railway station building)
Old Parliament House (Completed 1855)
Parliament House (Completed 1939)
Government House
The South African War Memorial
Jubilee 150 Walkway
University of South Australia
National War Memorial

+ History

History

North Terrace Adelaide in 1839 as viewed south-east from the western end of North Terrace, including Holy Trinity Church. (The church tower lost its “peaked cap” in 1844.)

 

Adelaide North Terrace 1839
Adelaide North Terrace 1839
+ Cultural Boulevard

Cultural Boulevard

After Kintore Avenue much of the space between North Terrace and the River Torrens is occupied by cultural institutions and other public buildings. Starting from West Terrace and travelling east, these buildings include:
State Library of South Australia
Institute Building (1859)
Spence Wing
Mortlock Wing (1884)
South Australian Museum
Art Gallery of South Australia
University of Adelaide (original campus)
Mitchell Building
Elder Conservatorium
Bonython Hall
Napier Building
Ligertwood Building
Jubilee 150 Walkway
University of South Australia
Brookman Building
The (old/current) Royal Adelaide Hospital
Adelaide Botanic Gardens

+ Major Buildings

Major Buildings

Starting from West Terrace and traveling east, these buildings include:
The new Royal Adelaide Hospital (still a construction site)
South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute (SAHMRI)
Adelaide Medical and Nursing Schools (construction site for the University of Adelaide)

The Morphett Street bridge
East of the bridge are the following major buildings

Adelaide Convention Centre, & Exhibition Halls
Riverside Centre (above the railway station platforms)
Inter Continental Hotel
Adelaide railway station building
Adelaide Casino (inside the historic railway station building)
Old Parliament House (Completed 1855)
Parliament House (Completed 1939)
Government House
The South African War Memorial
Jubilee 150 Walkway
University of South Australia
National War Memorial

Adelaide North Terrace Art Gallery & Museum
Adelaide North Terrace Art Gallery & Museum