- Jetty Road is a long ribbon of shops, entertainment facilities and other commercial activities – it is the main shopping precinct in Glenelg.
- Glenelg is the finishing point of the annual City-Bay fun run held in September. The run is 12 km long.
- Glenelg is home to:
- the award winning Glenelg Beach Hostel;
- a team in the South Australian National Football League (SANFL), the Glenelg Tigers;
- the Glenelg Seahorses in the South Australian Grade Cricket League;
- the Bay Discovery Centre, a free museum about Glenelg’s history.
- a replica of HMS Buffalo
- The annual Bay Sheffield race is held at Glenelg in December.
- The annual celebration of the Epiphany for the Orthodox faithful of Adelaide, accompanied by the Greek festival of the Theophany.
[/lsvr_tab_item][lsvr_tab_item title=”Transport”]The suburb is bordered by Anzac Highway, (the road link to the Adelaide city centre), to the north, Brighton Road to the west and Pier Street to the south. Jetty Road is the main shopping strip in the suburb, and runs down the middle. The Adelaide Metro operates several bus services from Glenelg to various destinations including the City of Adelaide and Adelaide Airport. The local council operates a free loop bus service in the area.
The Glenelg Tram, runs from Moseley Square, along Jetty Road though Glenelg, to the Adelaide Entertainment Centre, Hindmarsh. The route dates back to 1873 and is still operated on weekends and holidays by the historic H-Class trams, circa 1929.
Recreational boating is popular in Glenelg. To the north is the mouth of the Patawalonga River, which has been dammed to create an artificial boat harbour with a lock down to the sea.[/lsvr_tab_item][lsvr_tab_item title=”About”]Glenelg is a popular beach-side suburb of the South Australian capital of Adelaide. Located on the shore of Holdfast Bay in Gulf St Vincent, it has become a popular tourist destination due to its beach and many attractions, home to several hotels and dozens of restaurants.
Established in 1836, it is the oldest European settlement on mainland South Australia (the oldest being Kingscote on Kangaroo Island), with the proclamation of the colony of South Australia. It was named after Lord Glenelg, a member of British Cabinet and Secretary of State for War and the Colonies.